This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Ojai Revisited...

I had heard of a town called "Ojai" for the first time as I sat behind my desk at Men's Journal Magazine. Through some photo research, I learned that Ojai was a funky little town of beautiful hikes, camping, art galleries, and bookstores. I remember going onto Flickr, and searching through people's vacation photos of Ojai. After that, I noticed when people talked about Ojai. Then I found out that a friend who helped me move in New York was from Ojai. There was something special about this place, so I filed it away in my mind as a place I wanted to visit.


When my cousin Chelsea came into town last week, she was just as game for an adventure. I suggested we go to Ojai and explore for the day. It only took us about 40 minutes to drive there from Santa Barbara. It's located about 15 miles east of the ocean, tucked behind the mountains of Ventura.


The first thing that we did was stop by the local coffee shop. We asked one of the girls working there, if she had one day to spend in Ojai, what would she do? She immediately suggested the "hot springs". However, after the words "hot springs" came out of her mouth, she hesitated and said " well, as long as you don't tell anyone where they are, I'll give you the directions." So she called her friend to get the specifics, and we wrote them down anxiously.

Chelsea and I went there in the late afternoon. When we arrived, no one else was there. We were both awestruck at the beauty of this special place. It wasn't visible from the road, hidden behind bamboo and tall ferns. But as we proceeded down the steep dirt path, we began to see the pools through the clearing.




I have to say that these hot springs are perhaps the most beautiful I have visited. It is one of the few places where it feels like the earth opens up and seeps all things indescribable. Each pool is a different temperature, and the water is crystal clear. The glaciers and centuries of the earth shifting has helped these boulders and rocks create perfect pools. The bushes and trees shade the area so that you are provided protection from the hot sun. Red dragonflies buzz happily around, landing on a piece of bamboo, and then a wet stone, and then your fingertip. Every living thing, animate and inanimate lives in harmony. Sitting in those pools I felt so connected to the earth. I felt I was absolutely grounded, and creativity felt like it was pouring out of me.



I went back to Ojai this weekend to go camping. My friend drove up from LA and we camped further into the hills, but visited the hot springs numerous times. Each time we went, there were a few people from all walks of life. Some people who truly loved the space, and were there to soak in the baths to heal. Families came with their children. Some came with coolers of beer, liquor and tanning oil... But no matter who came to enjoy the baths probably left healed in some way, whether it was their intention or not.


Spending time in these hot springs energized me. Last week, I had a bit of a breakthrough with my photography. I decided to focus on portraits of female surfers. Being in these springs inspired me to follow that inspiration. I met a woman in the springs who lives in Ojai. She gave me some tips, and told me about a local diner where the local surfer girls work as waitresses.

Ojai is the bomb!!!

9 comments:

Kyla Kay said...

So it looks like your post is not new, but I figured it was worth a shot to try and contact you. I too am visiting Ojai for the first time in 2 weeks, and quite excited I must say. Your blog made it sound like my kinda place! I'd love to visit a hot springs, but can't seem to find any info on how to get to one. Mind sharing the little gem that local gave you as to how to find this one? (or do I have to track down my own local?lol)

Hope to hear from you soon!
Kyla

Jeff Vachon said...

I love the Ojai hot springs and get there whenever I can. Once in a great while the police come by to kick people out. Technically, it's on private property. And many people get naked.

Unknown said...

I am going to Ojai in 2 weeks. where are these hot springs? how do we find them?

angela said...

hi... i wanted to see if my two girlfriends and I could get directions to this spot?

Let me know... we would love to have a relaxing time at a remote location like this..
Thanks!

Angela

JonPaul said...

It would seem that Ojai hot springs are like Maui's private beaches. Publishing the location has its consequences for all. We all must do it the old fashioned way, and be one with the locals!

Jeff Vachon said...

I would be doing a disservice to the area if I posted the directions on an anonymous forum. Lately it has become crowded with gawkers. Sorry.

Unknown said...

please don't give anymore directions,not to trying to be rude but i grew up in Ojai and its hard to enjoy Ojai's nature with more a more tourist

Unknown said...

please don't give anymore directions,not to trying to be rude but i grew up in Ojai and its hard to enjoy Ojai's nature with more a more tourist

Deva Temple said...

Dear Community,
A new era of stewardship is beginning on the hot springs land – which has been purchased, and is now being managed by Ecotopia, a non-profit community organization. This land is being closed for a Resting Period starting May 1st. All lands on the creek side of the road are private. Anyone on this land, around the hotsprings, or at the swimming hole at the sharp bend in the road will be fined for trespassing by the police starting May 1st.
This Resting Period will last a minimum of 4-6 months so that the land can be given time to heal from overuse. When Ecotopia re-opens the land, everyone will be welcome to become a member, participate and visit. All members will be involved with helping to create a healthy, clean, safe, alcohol and drug free environment.
Please visit WWW.OJAIHOTSPRINGS.COM to signup for the email newsletter – so you can receive updates and news relating to this land. We welcome your involvement in co-stewarding this land with us for many years to come.

Thank you,
Ojai Ecotopia Staff
WWW.OJAIHOTSPRINGS.COM