This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Friday, July 13, 2007

SURF WARRIORS



Demi, 16 Anastacia, 18 Bo, 18

( These are just digital snapshots. I shot formal portraits of them with my 4x5.)

Wow. It wish great pleasure that I am creating this post. It's funny because I am leaving Santa Barbara in 2 days, and I feel like I am picking up so much momentum with my photography work. Last week, I was standing on a bluff on the beach, underneath my black cape, behind my 4x5 camera. Gazing through the ground glass, I was looking at 2 women, sitting in the positions I had directed them to, preparing to go out surfing. There was something about that moment that was indescribable. A feeling came to me that was so strong, and direct, telling me that that image represented everything that I was looking for in California. But I realized that I needed to take that image, and break it down into all of those pieces, and photograph each one.... thus, my project on Women Surfers.

These portraits above are the result of my inspiration and motivation from last week. After I experienced that epiphany, I put a post on Craig's List, posted fliers around town, and spread the word that I was looking for dedicated female surfers. Women began to call me and email me. So far, I have photographed 6 women in the Santa Barbara area.

I am feeling really motivated and fueled by a more concrete purpose as I travel down south. I think leaving New York, seeking my artistic voice again was purpose enough.. But after 2.5 weeks of shooting everything that attracted me in Santa Barbara, I finally hit something that struck a cord seep inside of me. There is something about surfing itself that I respect and identify with. I think there is something magical in being submerged in the saltwater, moving to and fro with the currents and rising with the waves. It is a feeling of being one with nature- away from other people, cars, concrete, and sounds of human activity. You are completely removed and almost in between life on earth that humans are so used to ... and on the surface of the ocean world, something we know very little of.

The women I have met thus far have something special about them. They are humble, beautiful, calm, strong, brave, and respectful. I am so excited to watch this project unfold. . .

No comments: