This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Friday, August 24, 2007

From Los Angeles to Las Vegas!!



In one week I went from the city of Los Angeles to the strip of Las Vegas, to the Grand Canyon, then to Sedona, Arizona. I am sitting in a coffee shop in Sedona, using their free wifi. I have had so many adventures in the last ten days, I can hardly catch up with myself. I packed my car intending only to do a quick 3 day trip to Las Vegas. Luckily, I don’t mind wearing the same outfits because that 3 day trip turned into a ten day adventure.



I drove to Las Vegas to meet up with my friend Jenny (above). We used to work together at Men’s Journal. She was coming out to Vegas for a National Bar League pool tournament. I decided to drive over and meet her. I have always wanted to go to Las Vegas. Not only because it is a place that everyone should visit once for the sheer craziness of it all, but because it is filled with photography opportunities. The city is surrounded by beautiful red rock formations. Newly developed cookie cutter neighborhoods are beginning to creep their way closer to these beautiful mesas. Exactly what I love shooting. Not to mention the strip which is ripe with fake jungles, Egyptian pyramids, and castles- as well as fake versions of New York and Venice. Las Vegas is unbelievably weird but incredible at the same time.



I met a woman at the Mirage from Las Vegas. She told me not to miss seeing the Hoover Dam. I have always wanted to shoot the Hoover Dam, I had absolutely no idea it was only 15 miles from Las Vegas. The next morning, my alarm went off at 6:30am. While everyone else was sleeping off their hangovers and mourning their lost money, I got up and set off for the dam.



Driving through the canyon that leads to the dam, I saw that they were rebuilding the highway. The section they were working on was one that links to cliffs together, with a 400 foot drop below. The presence and control of humans within this canyon was astounding. And the magnitude of this dam was incredible. I took many photos with my 4x5.

During little trip to the dam, I realized that the Grand Canyon was only 4 hours away from Vegas. I couldn’t think of a reason not to go. I was already half way there, I had all of my photo equipment and plenty of film. I had no reason not to go for it.



This was the actual moment I had the realization- over a fantastic plate of Huevos Rancheros.

I left Vegas the next morning.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am now hooked on Angela's blog. I find her photos exciting, inspirational, beautiful and touching. I am amazed at her adventurous and unstoppable commitment to find great photo opportunities. In my opinion, Angela has gone from "diamond in the rough" to full on shining gem of priceless talent and artistry.