This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Friday, August 24, 2007

The Grand Canyon to Sedona, Arizona



My friend Bryn, who lives in Brooklyn left me a message as I was on my way to the Grand Canyon. She made a wonderful observation when she said “ seeing the Grand Canyon can be compared to seeing Ella Fitzgerald live. It is a well known fact that both the Grand Canyon, and Ella Fitzgerald are internationally famous. But it is not until you actually behold the magnitude of the Grand Canyon, or Ella’s voice in concert, that you actually get what all of the hype is about.” When I first pulled up to the overlook at the Grand Canyon National Park, I was absolutely astounded. It was so incredible that it almost looked like a fake photograph- like the kind that covers an entire wall in a Chinese restaurant. It was breathtaking. I spent the afternoon at the Canyon, shooting tourists, overlooks, and the canyons. I still hadn’t decided how long I wanted to stay there. I considered driving back into the park the next day. But something told me to move on. I had another realization while looking at a map. I realized that Sedona was only about an hour from the Grand Canyon. And if I decided to drive all the way to Sedona, I may as well drive to Phoenix, and visit some extended family. I had everything I needed. Why the hell not?



The next morning I set off for Sedona. I began to realize how many Indian ruins existed in Northern Arizona. I decided to stop at Walnut Canyon, so see an ancient city that has been a home for Native Americans for centuries. It was essentially a canyon of cliffs that have extending overhangs. It was within these overhangs that people build their homes. It is incredible to realize that this was an ancient city that many migrating peoples have used for their homes for thousands of years.





Approaching Sedona... Slide Rock (below)



More on Sedona to come, need to run..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am now hooked on Angela's blog! I find her photos exciting, inspirational, beautiful and touching. I am amazed at her adventurous and unstoppable commitment to find great photo opportunities. In my opinion, Angela has gone from "diamond in the rough" to full on shining gem of priceless talent and artistry.Keep up the great work!!