This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life in San Diego, CA




I have been in San Diego since early September. I am staying with a my brother's best friend's family, the Winetrouts. The Winetrouts used to live in Eugene and I have faint memories of being with them when I was three and four years old.

They have been incredibly generous having me stay with them in San Diego. I have a wonderful little bedroom. They treat me as if I were their own daughter. I can come and go as I please, and they are always there to welcome me home with open arms.

In San Diego, I have mainly been focused on my girl surfer project. I have had a few meetings with Roxy/Quiksilver, who have given me many contacts with sponsored surfers. I have also just been going to the beaches and looking for the right subjects. Right now the project has such a nice mix of regular girls that love to surf, and pro short and long boarders.

I leave for New York in a week. There, I will be spending a solid week printing everything that I have been shooting for the last 3 months. I am so anxious to see everything and begin editing it. I want to make several new portfolios to add to my website. I am anxious to put the surfer project together and figure out it's right destination.

Right now I am really torn about where I want to settle for the next year. I have fallen in love with a little town called Encinitas in North San Diego County. It's about 20 miles north of downtown San Diego- and about an hour and a half south of Los Angeles. I have met amazing people there, they have a little capoeira group, yoga studios, and coffee houses. People are laid back and open- and it's right on the beach.

But I also love Venice Beach. I think Venice is the only neighborhood in LA where I could really live. It's funky, creative, on the beach, and full of galleries, bars and restaurants. It's going to be a really tough decision- but it may also become a decision that I will make over time. Luckily I have places I can crash so that I can give the decision some time. But sometimes it's also really important to just make a commitment to a place one way or another. I could drive myself crazy moving from place to place and back and forth. Hopefully my time in New York will bring some clarity.........

2 comments:

Kevin Barnwell said...

Angie, my Sister!! Glad to hear that you are well. Loved your photos of the Sycuan Powwow -- beautiful!!! Just jumped on your site for an update and noticed the photos of our ride. Geeze, that was fun! You look great on that bike!

swirley2 said...

Hi Angie Love the surfing Photos- Just like being there ( bitchin). And Sedona and the rock formations remind of the time i passed thru eons ago. look forward to more rodeo shots- and see you on your way to New York. dont forget your helmet on the harley. love bob