This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sycuan Traditional Powwow Gathering





Last week the t.v. was on and a commercial came on advertising the annual Sycuan Powwow Gathering in El Cajon, CA - only 30 miles from San Diego. I have always wanted to go to a traditional Powwow. Since I have been out on the west coast, I have been flooded with creativity. I feel so inpspired by the landscape and culture out here. Every weekend, somewhere within a 4 hour drive is a surf contest, rodeo queen pageant, or a powwow. All are diversely cultural events with incredible subject matter for portraiture.

I knew that the powwow could be a pathway to another potential project. I decided to go there and focus on using my digital camera. I really want to get comfortable with it. I may never be as comfortable and satisfied as I am using film- but it may just be a matter of time.



I spent almost the entire day at the powwow. It was a wonderful day. I spoke to families that had driven over 10 hours- from Arizona, New Mexico, California, Washington- all over the west.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Angie! I have been awaiting news from you as well as more of your astounding photos. Seriously, the impact of your work on my own spirit and creativity is inspiring, exciting and always leads to "something better". Please keep shooting, keep sharing and let nothing stop you from being all you want to be. For me, your work inspires and heals.
P.S. You are as beautiful as you are talented..again, my opinion !