This is a blog about what's happening in my life in Los Angeles. It will also include postings about interesting things I come across as I explore life in L.A.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Santa Barbara, California



I decided to open with this image because I am really feeling inspired by my surroundings in Santa Barbara. I have been here since Friday. I am staying in Goleta, which is about 10 miles north of Santa Barbara. I am finding it really interesting to just get on my bike and ride around town instead of driving. Today, I managed to squeeze my digital camera as well as my Mamiya 6x7 into my backpack. I rode around the city and stumbled upon this skate park on the waterfront.

I had been meaning to find this skate park because it's where all of the teens congregate. It's a perfect place for portraits. The space is expansive, surrounded by palm trees and interesting plants. As the light changes, the trees cast shadows across the bowls.. That coupled with all of the skater boys- eager to impress the girls. There were a few girls peppered around the skate park. They were there in cute, bright colored bikini tops and skirts, watching and whispering on the side.

I spent about 3 hours there today, just observing and shooting with my digital camera. I think I will go back in a couple of days with my 4x5.




The photo above is Alex Hall- my cousin once removed (?). He's my Aunt's brother's son. We aren't technically blood related- but he's just like family. Yesterday we went surfing at a beach outside of Ventura. We had a blast. The water was fairly warm. I almost stood up. I could have but my mind was the only thing holding me back. Tomorrow I'll stand up.




This bus just caught my eye as I was pedalling down these residential streets. Sights like this just illustrate why I love the West Coast. There's so much character to this bus. I'm sure it's seen many places- Zion, the Oregon Country Fair, Yosemite, Palm Springs. It just rests underneath these palm trees like it's taking a siesta. No parking meters. No garages. It can just sit on the street until someone decides to move it. The only thing more interesting than the bus is the character who probably drives it.




I took another little bike ride after dinner. When the light is like this I just can't stay inside. There's always going to be something interesting to take a picture of. I love the the quietness of this parking lot. The sign is the only indication of the life that usually inhabits this space. But yes, throughout Santa Barbara and the rest of the US, "school's out for summer"!



This is pretty much the landscape in my backyard. This was one of the last pictures I took before the sun disappeared behind the mountains. Today was a great day.

No comments: